Friday, April 24, 2015

Empty Chairs and Empty Tables

This week the district that has been with us the last 6 weeks just left and we are the oldest district.  3 weeks!

Quote of the week goes to Elder Medina (part of the district that left today). We were all at lunch and he says,
"It is like a mine field in there.  Everyone is so sensitive. One will start crying, and that sets off another one and then they are all crying! "

So many fond memories! They will all be missed.

Lost in translation

We got our korean badges this week!!!! YAY!!! so my name is missing an r and v's dont exist.
so it basically sounds like Shyayeebo #koreandoesntromanize

However Elder Corona name translated too well and actually means something in Korean.  It mean from the nose essentially booger. lol  But I know it will be an amazing conversation starter :P

Once Upon an Aussie

So during one of our lessons with one of our teachers acting as our investigator, my amazing companion was trying to explain that we all have sinned. but instead with a very serious expression said, "We are sin."
our investigator lost it. and we both had no idea why she was laughing. we all laughed together for a good 2 min before regaining composure.
It was funny :)

Uplifting

SO one of my favorite speakers from this past general conference came to speak this last Tuesday's devotional! :D Wilford F. Andersen!  You may recognize this quote that is so beautifully displayed on my planner that my amazing sister created for me.  I am going to paraphrase and share my own thoughts on the topic "knowing".
There are 3 different types of knowledge:
head knowledge: head knowledge is academic.  It is knowing something on a intellectual level.  How it works and functions.
heart knowledge:  This is the knowing that gives feeling and desire.  This is when we know it with our heart and know something to be true even if we haven't figured out why. Heart knowledge is obtained through the Holy Ghost or Light of Christ.
soul knowledge:  Knowledge that is obtained through applying heart and head knowledge. It requires practicing the principle.

If you spent the next 3000 hours reading about how to dance would you then be able to go and audition for the next Nutcracker?
No that would just be head knowledge.
No matter how much I want to be a Korean Language master I will never learn if I just sit on my hope chest and wait for it to come to me.

When I first began dancing, I had a lot of heart... but not a lot of head knowledge.  I could feel the music in my heart, but there was no head knowledge.
After I obtained the head knowledge, how the feet were suppose to move, how body flight was suppose to flow, I still struggled convey that head knowledge to my body. #thestruggleisreal
After hours of dancing, and before I left on a mission I was still just learning, I learned with my soul how I was suppose to move.

Same with horseback riding, and learning the piano, or even engineering.
soul knowledge is the experience.

When learning about the Gospel head knowledge is the doctrines of Christ.  As we come to know the scriptures, we learn the pattern for happiness, but that does not mean we believe it our want anything to do with it.
We need the heart knowledge, the desire to change and to act.  We can obtain heart through feeling the Holy Ghost sometimes through another's testimony, the explementary people we find, and noticing God's hand in our lives.   Those powerful spiritual experiences that tell us there is more to life than living. :)
Soul knowledge it doesn't matter if we know it with our head and our heart and we do not act... Soul knowledge is becoming.  We have to become a disciple of Christ.  Just like we have to become a dancer, an engineer, a horseback rider, or anything else worth becoming.  It is a process.
This pattern is found through out the scriptures.  It is beautiful elegant and simple :)
One of my favorite examples of this is Amulek.

Alma 10
5 Nevertheless, after all this, I never have known much of the ways of the Lord, and his mysteries and marvelous power. I said I never had known much of these things; but behold, I mistake), for I have (head knowledge seen much of his mysteries and his marvelous power; yea, even in the preservation of the lives of this people.

 6 Nevertheless, I did harden my heart(no heart knowledge), for I was called many times and I would not hear; therefore I knew concerning these things, yet I would not know; therefore I went on (soul)rebelling against God, in the wickedness of my heart, even until the fourth day of this seventh month, which is in the tenth year of the reign of the judges.

I love the scriptures :)

So this week I am focusing on the Christlike attribute of Knowledge, and I invite you to join me in finding in what knowledge we need to see a little more :) for me it is head knowledge.  To obtain more head knowledge I am focusing on learning where passages are in the scriptures that I will be able to share them and know where they are when I need them :)  Have a wonderful day!

Cheers!

Sister Shaver

Pictures :)


Just doing some family history at the MTC . . . I found my cousin Nathan. ;)



Best friend! 


Going to miss this girl!


Good-byes are not my favorite :(


Selfie for the day!


Sister Jo makes me laugh!


Woodland Maiden outfit. Now I just need some birds to fly around me.

No comments:

Post a Comment