Monday, June 1, 2015

Specific prayer is powerful.

Lost in Translation

While we were eating at a function, I asked my companion if we had to eat everything which she said we did. I gave her a surpised look and she looked back with  a  (we usually do) look, but this was an extraordinary amount of food that was placed before us.  I went to town but she got up and started helping when I asked what I could do to help she told me to keep eating.  I ate about half the food there and expected her to come back and finish. She didn't come back.  Then I realized something must have been lost in translation........She meant until I was full...I told her what happened later and she about died laughing. le sigh.

Quotes of the week

I think the plural of spouse should be spice, because Mouse is Mice.

"Being awkward is your job Sister Shaver." Sister Lee

"Korean isnt that hard of a language to learn. The dogs can undeerstand it... and you can too!" Elder Ringwood

This week on the menu

Dried squid
small whole fish
shrimp with heads

This week in Korea.

So we attended a funeral, which was interesting to contrast with american funerals.  There was a really nice atmosphere of respect and honor, and there were a lot of flowers and he served in the military so there was a lot of that there too.

This week was quite a special treat. I got to see someone very dear to me this week. Michelle Moyer!! Go check out her blog! She is amazing inside and out!!  We had a combined conference where Elder Ringwood spoke. He served in Korea so that was cool that he could relate. he said if he could learn Korean anyone could haha he also said one of the quotes in the quotes of the week.  It was great to see Michelle though.  I feel so blessed to have such a great friend! And even more blessed that we will be able to speak Korean together when we are both back from our missions!

Uplifting

The conference was really insightful.  Sometimes I feel we forget whose children we are.  We are the children of the all powerful all knowing God that created the universe!  He created us, and he didn't create us to fail.

Romans 8
16 The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God:
17 And if children, then heirs; heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ; if so be that we suffer with him, that we may be also glorified together.

We are literal joint heirs with Christ :)  We have as much potential as we permit ourselves to have. God wants to give us everything, but he leaves it to use to decided.

2 Tim 2:25 In meekness instructing those that oppose themselves; if God peradventure will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth;

When we don't listen to God we betray (oppose) ourselves.  We deny ourselves of the blessings that God wants to freely give us. The sooner we care less of what the world thinks of us the sooner we can become what the Lord has planned for us.

We talked about developing extraordinary faith, because to recieve miracles one needs extraordinary faith right?  So to begin exercising extraordinary faith we need extraordinary prayers.  Praying specifically= we really are specific..For example:

Gift of Tongues.

When I asked for the gift of tongues I expected to learn Korean. Instead the Lord blessed me to be able to handle spicy foods.  If you know me at all you know I am the worst when it comes to spicey foods.... the absolute worst. Here I am eating things that even Koreans think are spicy.  It is a miracle.

Not the gift of tongues I was asking for but a gift of tongues none the less.

Praying for the gift of tongues was not specific enough.To be more specific I need to ask to be able to communicate with people I talk to on the bus/ subway/church praying during conversations etc.

After the conference, I really put that to the test, asked for specfic things like for someone to approach us about the gospel, and to have the ability to communicate to the people I talk to on the subway.  We were approached by two people on the Subway about the gospel, and I was able to talk to 5 other people and had some really awesome conversations, and tell them how much God loves them.  I sat next to this elderly woman on the subway, and I talked to her for a few min and then she shared her food with me!  How sweet is that?  Seriously have no idea what I ate but it was really good and I was so touched by her kind gesture.  Specific prayer is powerful.  I even found my ctr ring from my mom that I lost, and I said a prayer to find it and found it that night as I unfolded my mat.

As we excerise this faith we metaphorically center ourselves on his molding wheel, and he can help us become something beautiful in return.  It doesn't remove our trials. Change hurts sometimes, but it does make our trials purposeful.  But who really wants all of their trials taken away? Kind of defeats the point of being here if we don't have to work for anything.  When we work we certainly appreciate more and grow more too.  Let us become what the Lord wants us to be.  It is greater than we can imagine, better than we could ever planned, when we let him mold us with his almighty hands.

Pictures:


I adore this family! Their little girl is precious!


um, num, num, num


P-day fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment